From beautiful meadows, unilluminated forests, glacial valleys, and crystal clear views of Himalayan peaks, Hampta Pass has in abundance, the beauty of nature residing in itself. Hence it is applauded by trekkers.
Hampta Pass trek offers you the spellbinding landscape that keeps on changing after a few kilometers. If you are a nature love, you can enjoy the flora and fauna with the combination of huge pine trees and rare Himalayan birds.
Quick Facts :
Grade: Easy To Moderate
Hampta Pass Height : 14,100 Ft.
Trail Type: A crossover trail through passes. The trek starts and ends at Manali
Railhead: Pathankot is the nearest railhead to the base camp
Airport: Bhuntar, which is 52 km away from Manali
Road: Manali is well connected to Delhi
Best Season: July to October
Snow: Round the year except for monsoon
How to Reach Hampta Valley ?
By Air: The nearest airport from Manali is Bhuntar, which is well connected to Delhi by air.
Distance from Manali to Bhuntar : 52 km
You can avail services of the taxi from Bhuntar to Manali at easy. It costs about Rs. 700 to Rs. 1000.
By Road: Manali is well connected to Delhi. One can take an overnight bus from Delhi to Manali and can be booked online. The last bus leaves from ISBT Kashmere Gate at 8:30 p.m.
Best Time to Go :
Trekkers can enjoy it most in the month of June, July, September and first week of October. The ideal time to visit the place is between April to May, with warmer temperatures and visibility. Also, the months between September to November - which is right after monsoon is again the perfect time to visit.
Best Season to Visit Hampta Pass :
The best time to visit Hampta Pass is from mid-June to mid-October.
Summer: The days are usually sunny and warm (12-20°C) while the temperature at night at the highest campsite ranges from -2 to 6°C.
Winter: During the mid-season i.e. from September to mid-October with good weather and little snow. The days are sunny with temperatures with around 12 to 18°C with later the evenings cold with the onset of October and nights are comparatively colder (- 6 to 4°C).
Hampta Pass Trekking: The trek remains open for a period of nearly five months from the month of June to Mid October. The trek is usually at halt end during the monsoon season, specifically month of July, August, and September.
Drinking Water: Himalayan water is as clear and filled with minerals. However, if you want to be on the save side you can boil water or add chlorine tablet. Make sure you keep yourself properly hydrated.
Fitness: Optimum level of fitness is required for Hampta river trekking.
Culture in Hampta Valley : You can get immense experience with the custom, culture, and tradition in Hampta Pass valley. The exceptional socio-cultural lifestyle of people will take you away and one can get absolute admiration from the local people.
Permits: During your trekking expedition to Hampta pass trek, you may require permits for the trek as well as the camping charges is needed to be done. You should carry ID cards and photocopies of your driving license or passport or voter ID or passport size photos. It is also better to consult a physician and obtain a medical certificate - as this part for the trek is mandatory.
Hampta Pass Temperature :
Summers : Temperature stays between 12 degree celsius and 20 degree celsius during daytime.
At night, temperature can range anywhere between -2 degree celsius and 6 degree celsius.
June to October : The most preferred time to visit Hampta Pass is between June to October.
August : During this month, the snow starts melting and you can also expect some rain.
September and October : In the months of September and October, there’s always a possibility of snowfall. The temperature during this month ranges from 12 degree celsius and 18 degree celsius during the day, and -6 degree celsius to 4 degree celsius during the night.
Emergency and Medical Advice :
For any emergency, one may approach to any of these helplines -
Police Station, Manali: 100, 01902 252326
- Police Station, Kullu: 100, 01902 222775
- Fire: 101, Emergency Services: 108
- District Control Room: 1077
- Ambulance: 102, 01982 52014
- Blood Bank – Kamla Nehru Hospital: 01902 2625097
- IG Hospital: 01902 2883305, 01902 2883315
- Tourism Office: The Mall, Manali – 01902 252175
Tips to Remember :
- Good trekking shoes is a must and one should be very careful during the hampta trek.
- One should have adequate time to get acclimatized while ascending to high altitudes as the climatic conditions in the high altitudes vary from the plains.
- One should pay proper heed to the guide to have a safe and sound trekking experience.
- During the trek, one should not consume alcohol or any other intoxicants.
- Trekking during the night time should be strictly avoided.
- Carrying a plastic water proof bag for your camera or a mobile phone is a good option.
Things to Carry
- Backpack (min 60 Ltrs) with rain cover
- Trekking Shoes (Forclaz 100, 500 recommended)
- One jacket
- Thermal inners - 1 Pair
- 2 pairs of full sleeve shirts/T-shirts and track Pants
- 2 pairs of cotton socks. 3 pairs of woolen socks
- 1 full sleeves sweater or fleece jacket (preferable)
- Cold cream & sunscreen (SPF 40+)
- Water bottle 1 Lt
- Headlamp or torch with a fresh pair of batteries
- 1 pair gloves.
- Sun cap
- One scarf
- Light towel
- Lip balm
- Dark sunglasses (U/V protected)
- Walking stick
- Personal toilet kit and toilet paper
- Personal medicine kit
What are your plans? Have you already packed your bags and are on move? If not, get onboard with your travel journey and make it the memory for a lifetime.