Har Ki Dun Valley is one of most beautiful treks located in the Garhwal Himalayas region, this cradle shaped hanging valley is bounded by snow-covered peaks and alpine jungles, and panoramic views of mountains. The Har ki Dun valley is located at an altitude of approximately 3500 meters above the sea level.
HOW TO REACH?
By Rail : Dehradun is the last station before anyone takes on to ascend the mountain. It is well connected to major cities.
If you are planning on taking the rail journey, you can board the train from New Delhi station. The trains that run regularly are -
- Mussoorie Express
- Shatabdi Express
- Nizammudin Dehradun
Apart from these, there are other trains that run regularly from Chennai, Lucknow, Kolkata, and Amritsar among others.
By Air : The nearest airport is Jolly Grant Airport which is located about 25 km from Dehradun.
Delhi to Jolly Grant Airport : 269 km.
Mumail to Jolly Grant Airport : 1661.6 km
After reaching the airport, one can get cab running frequently to the destination.
By Road : Almost every half an hour, the buses ply ISBT Kashmiri Gate in New Delhi. You can choose Volvo or the state - run buses that are scheduled from Mussoorie and Shimla. It takes about approximately 6-8 Hours to reach Dehradun from New Delhi. Sankri is also well connected to the other major destinations like Dehradun, Purola, Mori and Mussorie.
In case, you do not want to opt for a bus - you can drive down via NH - 72.
BEST SEASON TO VISIT HAR KI DUN
The summer in Har ki Doon valley starts from April to June when the weather condition is pleasant and calm. With less fog and clear sky, the weather is perfect for trekking. The temperature is low during the night.
- Temperature in Sankri: 5°C
- Temperature in Seema: 1 to 2°C
- Temperature in Har Ki Dun: (-1° C) to -2°C
Advice : Carry light woollen clothes.
The scenic beauty during this time is mind-boggling. However, this weather is not at all suitable for trekking. Most of the people engage around this time due to the views of the flower-blooming meadows and valleys coupled with scattered snow. The trail is risky during this time due to landslide risk.
Advice : Carry raincoat. If you want to get drenched - The choice is yours!
One can witness snow in the months of winter that may from December to the mid-month of April. The average temperature ranges from 1°C to 5°C, with nights colder with drastic dips below freezing point. Har Ki Dun winter trek is the best with serene environment at its peak during this time.
Har ki Dun in December : The winter arrives in the month of December and gets freezing cold.
Har ki Dun in January : This month receives the highest snowfall and is a perfect winter trek.
Har ki Dun in February : The nights are freezing but day -time is pretty pleasant. It looks like a white land of snow.
Temperature in Sankri: (-1) °C
Temperature in Seema: (-3) °C
Temperature in Har Ki Dun: (-15) °C to (-10) °C
Advice : Carry heavy weighted woollen clothes.
Temperature: 20°C Max/ 5°C Min - Summers 10° Max/ -10° Min – Winter
The maximum altitude: 3,510 meters - Har ki Dun 3,794 meters - Marinda Tal.
Difficulty level: Easy to moderate
Nearest railway station: Dehradun
Nearest Airport: Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun
Snowfall: December to April
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Camping is something that is irresistible. If you are adventure lover - carry tents and camp at the best locations. However, if you are not camping sort of person - you can find accomodation option at Osla, Seema, Taluka, and Sankri. Few guesthouses also provide you with accommodation in rooms and dormitories.
The trails of Har ki Dun takes you through valleys, forests, meadows, and local villages. You can also enjoy the minute and everyday surprises of landscapes and views with a walk by the side of Supin River.
In Har ki Dun trekking, you can enjoy the dense forests, snow-capped mountain peaks and soaring views which are a mix of adventure and exploration.
You can enjoy the thrilling experience of trekking as well as get mesmerized by the religious and legendary tales. You can witness the meadows full of alpine flowers, terraced fields with horses and cows grazing in the field, wild orchid fields, Himalayan wildlife and panoramic view of mountains and glaciers.
Har ki Dun camping tour is a perfect amalgamation of the cultural, religious and adventurous tour in the Garhwal Himalayas.
You can also spot black bears, Barasingha, wild boars and few other animals if you lucky. The state bird of Uttrakhand, colorful Himalayan monal, can also be spotted with others like Golden eagles, massive Himalayan griffins.
Peaks to Enjoy :
Known to be a doorway to the ancient Himalayas village - this trekking will leave you more motivated and impatient towards the divine place. You can capture some of the best shots of Swargarohini – I, II, III, Bandarpoonch, and Blackpeak, all together along with the famous Ruinsara peak. One can also absorb the natural beauty of a truly heavenly and peaceful place with Har ki Dun valley trek.
The major scenic highlights of Har ki Doon trek are -
Exploring Village :
On your walks to the trek, you can also take a look into the local lifestyle of people in the villages. The locals here grow rajma, potato, and rice for a living. The people in Har ki Dun weave their own wool and make jackets and coats.
Difficulty Grade in Har ki Dun :
The trek in Har ki Dun valley is difficult. For those who are looking forward to trek must have some experience. The difficulty range is from Moderate to Difficult. Good fitness is required.
Tradition and Culture :
One can discover the cultures, traditions, and religion in a much amazing way. It is one of those beautiful regions where the culture and religion are kept close to heart.
The diversity and generosity towards the travelers are always admired by people. The vibrant people with benevolence and admiration for travelers fills you up and makes you want to stay here for lifetime.
ATM Point :
Purola has the last ATM point before your trek begins.
Mobile Connectivity in Har ki Dun :
If you have BSNL connection - you do not have to worry at all. Puralo and Sankri has proper connection of BSNL. After Puralo, which is 2 hours from Sankri, - you will face limited phone connectivity issue. It is advisable to finish all important calls.
Carrying medicines in case of emergency is a must. Here are some of the ideas recommended to take -
- Disprin – 3 tablets (headache)
- Norflox TZ & Lomofen– 6 tablets each (diarrhea)
- Band aid – 3 strips
- Diamox – 3 tablets (to prevent AMS)
- Crocin – 3 tablets (fever)
- Avomine – 2 tablets (motion sickness)
- Cotton – 1 small roll
- ORS – 2 packets
Permits in Har Ki Dun
On your way to trek you must require entry fees at certain checkpoints. You may be required to receive permits for the Govind Wildlife Sanctuary as well.
It is mandatory to carry identification cards such as -
- Driving license
- Voter ID along with a passport size photo
- Medical certificate ensuring your fitness for the trek
TOURIST PLACES IN HAR KI DUN
While you are in Har Ki Dun, make sure you don’t forget to visit Jamdhar Glacier and also the Morinda Tal.
- Jamdhar Glacier : Located towards the Swargarohini Peak, Jamdhar glacier offers a stunning view of mountains, snow clad peaks and scenic glaciers. You will have to travel about 10 km ahead from Har ki Dun where you will pass through spectacular forests and meadows of the valley.
- Morinda Tal : This high beautiful altitude lake is situated 3 km from Har ki Dun. One can also visit the temple at the Osla Village. It is believed to be built during Mahabharata.
- Ruinsara Tal : This clear water lake is located about 14 km from Osla. It is considered as sacred by the alpine vegetation and rhododendrons.
WHAT CAN YOU DO IN HAR KI DUN?
The place offers wide variety of adventure thrills to choose from. Few things you can do in Har ki Dun are -
- New Year
TIPS FOR HAR KI DUN TRAVEL
- Har ki Dun is relatively an easy trek. However, the trekkers need to be physically fit for the trek.
- For those who are trekking, one must know that if carrying luggage is hard one can also find mules and porters for hire.
- One should make sure to take all the information while travelling in the monsoon season. It is always better to connect with the tour guide, local authorities or the tour operators.
- Taking an experienced guide on the trek is a smart choice.
- It is advisable to hydrate two days before your trek – the water intake must be tripled to avoid dehydration.
- The climber should be able to carry their backpacks.
- Individuals with high blood pressure, heart problem, asthma, and epilepsy cannot be reconciled on this mission.
- Carry a sturdy sleeping bag that is durable and comfortable.
- Wear the right kind of socks to facilitate blood circulation.
THINGS TO CARRY FOR HAR KI DUN TREK
- Quality trekking shoes
- Camping shoes for crossing streams
- Covers to store used/wet clothing
- Covers to store used/wet clothing
- Winter jacket and waterproof coat
- Trekking pants
- Woollen cap, gloves, etc.
- Thick woollen socks
- Thermal innerwear
- Heavy fleece clothes
- Sun screen lotion and other toiletries
- Water bottle
- Trekking pole
- First aid kit
- Personal medication
- Swiss knife
EMERGENCY IN HAR KI DUN
- Uttarakhand Helpline: 0135 – 2710334, 0135 – 2710335, 0135 – 2710233
- Army Control Number: 0135 – 2716201, 0135 – 2710925, 0135 – 2716201, 0135 – 2710925
- Fire: 101
- Ambulance: 102
- Chamoli Control Room : 01372-251437, 251077, 09411352136
- Flood Information : 01372-251437, 09411352136
- Army Medical Emergency numbers : 18001805558, 18004190282, 8009833388 Police: 100
Har Ki Dun is soundlessly waiting for the passionate trekkers to explore it to its core; the trek will make your trekking expedition a noteworthy beyond doubt.
What’s your take on that? Pack your bags and get ready for a journey, not just the destination.